26 February 2007

Monday 29th January 2007

On the weekend, I went sight-seeing at Sosha Mountain. This mountain is a very famous mountain in Himeji and it became the major location for the filming of the movie The Last Samuri with Tom Cruise. It was so beautiful and the forest was dense with many bamboo trees and native plants. We got a fantastic view of Himeji from the top of the mountain. We went in the cable car to the top, but apparently you can climb to the top by foot and it takes one hour. I would love to do that. I will have to make time to climb the mountain at some stage this year. If anyone wants to come and do it with me, all you have to do is buy a plane ticket to Japan and we can go together!



We saw a wire fence with paper tied to it. This is usually used for the New Year. On New Years Day, families get together and buy fortune messages for each other. It is similar to a fortune cookie message, but you don’t get a fortune cookie with it. If the message is positive, it is kept. If the message is negative, it is tied to the wire fence and is burned on a special day. I love taking photos of this fence.



We only got half way around the mountain and then we had to turn back because we ran out of time. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to the section where The Last Samuri was filmed, so we will have to make a trip back there some other time and see the other half of the mountain. It is so big that it can take hours to see everything.

There are so many things to see and do in Japan. I am trying to get around to do it all. Every weekend is busy – jam-packed with activities, sight-seeing and shopping. I can definitely say that I am making the most of my time here so far!

No comments: