20 January 2007

Monday 1st January 2007

Hideo came to the guest house to pick us up around midday today. He took us back to his house which was about a two-minute drive from the guest house we were staying at. His house is so cool! He lives in a forest with bamboo trees and all these exotic plants surrounding him. He owns a whole mountain and he built his house on it. His house is made out of shipping containers – so bizarre! I have never heard of it before! He has the BEST view of the entire town from his house. He also has the cutest dog called Clifford who is a golden retriever.





Hideo took us to meet the owner of the guest house and she was so cute (kawai!). Her and her husband gave Steve a tie that was made out of Japanese silk. I couldn’t believe they gave us a present for staying at their house! It just goes to show how hospitable they are. We gave them the souvenirs we bought.



We went back to Hideo’s house for lunch and Hisako cooked us the BEST Japanese meal for New Years Day. It was delicious. We had raw salmon with soy sauce, noodles, tofu, bean curd, mushrooms (tall and thin) and it was so healthy and tasty! We stayed at Hideo’s house all day and then at night we went to the public bath. It was such a different experience. Tina, Hisako, Idie and I went to the ladies’ bath and Steve, Yujin and Hideo went to the men’s bath. We had to take all our clothes off and walk around totally naked going from one spa to another. It felt weird for me at the start because I have never taken my clothes off in front of so many people before and I always cover myself up in change rooms, and there I was, completely starkers, taking a bath, a spa, a sauna and a shower with 200 other nude women! I didn’t think it was appropriate to take a photo of that!

By the end of it, I quite enjoyed the liberated feeling of letting it all hang out! I wasn’t self-conscious or anything it the end because noone else cared – it is part of their lifestyle. I’m glad I got to experience it though and I will definitely be going to another one in the near future.

So far, looking back I have had such an eye-opener of an experience. Every day is something different, unusual and something I would never experience in my everyday life in Australia. It is also something I will never forget! I am so grateful for this experie3nce and I don’t think I will ever regret taking up this opportunity!

No comments: