22 March 2007

The busy train ride back from Universal Studios

After our action-packed busy day in Universal Studios, it was time to go home. We had to pick up our bags from the train station where we had left them so we set off to do that. We were pushing it for time because by that stage, it was 11:00pm and the last train left Osaka not long after that, so we were lucky enough to be able to make the last train home. If not, we would have had to stay in Osaka for an extra night to catch the first morning train back the next day and we didn’t want to do that.

Anyway, we had about ten minutes before we had to catch the train so I quickly went to the toilet. You know how I said I bought these Hello Kitty ears? Well I was still wearing them at the train station. So I came out from the toilet and started walking back to the group when this guy was just starring at my ears because they looked pretty stupid! He wasn’t looking where he was going and he took out this small lady walking along in the station! He almost fell right over and she was so angry at him that he wasn’t looking where he was going. It was the funniest sight because I saw the entire thing and I was bent over laughing my hardest at him. He was all flustered and didn’t know what to do or where to look and he knew that I saw everything. He would have been so embarrassed! Ha! That’s what you get when you look at my Hello Kitty ears! That’ll teach him! I always knew Hello Kitty was a bit cheeky!

We got to the platform we needed to be on and we were waiting in the line and as the train pulled up, it was so packed and busy that we just got pushed onto the train by all the people behind us. There were piles and piles of people pouring into this tiny train – it was insane! I couldn’t believe how busy this train was.

It was so busy and packed that it was funny. So there we were, the only Westerners on the train, cracking up laughing because it was so packed, while everyone else on the train was silent and serious. In case you didn’t know, there is a special train etiquette where you are not supposed to make much noise while you are on a train because it is the time when people rest and sleep. So we were being rowdy and noisy and we couldn’t help it because it was so funny being packed in like a sardine the way we were.

I was holding my overnight back and there was this little old man standing next to me bent over because it was too busy for him to stand up straight. My bag was shoved into his stomach and I was fully leaning on him. The poor man was saying, “itai, itai” which means, “it hurts” and I felt so bad. Then the train stopped and this huge pile of people came rushing out of the train. We just had to go with it and walk out with the people even though we wanted to stay on the train. This poor little old man was still holding onto my bag through the rush while he was trying to get out of the train. I tell you what, I bet he was over the moon when he got to get off that train!

Renee was cracking up laughing at the entire situation because she was in the worst position. One leg was facing one way and the other leg was facing the other way and she felt so unco. Then to top it off, she was fully pushing into people every time the train veered in another direction. It was just the funniest thing to experience and we knew we weren’t supposed to be laughing, but we just couldn’t help ourselves. While we were on that train, we weren’t the most popular people in the world! Sometimes, you just have to laugh, though!

We ended up getting home at 1:00am and were absolutely STUFFED from a literally jam-packed day!

2 comments:

Tinz said...

I think this story was definitely a "you had to be there" story - but I was there so I laughed through this whole entry. It was very funny!!

Mich said...

Ha! Don;t think you could be quiet anyway!