14 August 2007

Kyoto with mum and dad

While mum and dad have been here, we have seen and done quite a bit in Japan. They have been lucky to have been able to see so much in the short time they have been here. One of the places we took them to was Kyoto.

First, we went to Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion) because they really wanted to see it and it is well worth visiting. We spent a while walking around the area enjoying the scenery and taking lots of photos.

















Our second tourist destination in Kyoto was the Fushimi Inari Torii. Torii in English means ‘gate’. There are thousands upon thousands of tori amongst a beautiful rainforest. It is the most beautiful part of Kyoto and I got to see it for the very first time. These red gates were also used during the filming of the movie, ‘Memoirs of a Geisha’. It is a pretty famous spot.



We hiked up this mountain for a little while through the red gates, but we didn't quite get to the top because it was really hot and we were getting tired. One day, I would love to be able to go right to the very top. The red gates apparently go for six kilometres! I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken to build them!

Anyway, on the bus ride there, we met this really cute little Japanese boy who ended up sitting next to me.



He said ‘hello’ to me and told me his name and how old he was. He was the cutest little boy I have seen in Japan so far! He was only four years old, but he was so confident and could understand what I was saying to him in English! While we were walking through the gates, we saw him again and so this time, I made sure I got a photo with him because I liked him so much!

This is Steve and I walking through the never-ending red gates!











I now have a new favourite place in Kyoto – Fushimi Inari! If you ever go to Japan, I recommend you see this – it’s a must! You would be amazed!

1 comment:

Tinz said...

Kyoto is so cool. Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari are 2 of my favourite places. The red gates are just so awesome. I would love to hike the 6km with you next time! It's a date!!!! Or am i OUT????