14 August 2007

My favourite place in Japan – Mitaki-ji



I know I have said many places have been my favourite, but Mitaki-ji is so beautiful and green and lush. It is about a thirty minute bus ride away from the city centre of Hiroshima up in the hills. There is so much greenery as the forest is quite dense and it is even more beautiful to see the waterfall cascading down the mountain amongst the density of the forest.















There are also many statues of Gods and small shrines hidden in the mountain. We really enjoyed climbing the mountain and taking so many nice photos of the area.














The scariest part was when I was walking up some stairs, and I got to a dead end. I was about to turn around and go back the way I had come, when I saw this snake all coiled up with its head up staring at me. I froze dead on the spot because I was so frightened. I knew I had to get away, but my legs wouldn’t move. I eventually forced myself to walk past the snake and thankfully, it didn’t try to strike me.

As Mum and I were heading back to find the others, we were walking back down the stairs and I saw another snake slither in front of me and go into the bushes on the side of the track. This was really scary and by this stage, I had had enough and I wanted to get out!

There were so many scary insects, bugs, snakes and spiders around that area. This is a really good photo of the spider’s web. There were so many of these, so you really had to look where you were going!



Aside from the scary wildlife, Mitaki-ji is amazing and definitely worth a look. I would like to go back there again someday…

2 comments:

Tinz said...

Mitaki-ji was really pretty! I wish we could have swam because I was really piped up for a swim!! We will have to save that for Okinawa! :-)

Lauren said...

Mitaki-ji was so beautiful! I think it would be amazing in Autumn . . .