10 August 2007

Nara with Leash

This was the first time I have ever been to Nara and it was so beautiful. There are so many temples and beautiful gardens and pagodas to see. It is just out of this world – like no other place. I love the way that there are thousands of deer wondering freely around the city. They are so tame and used to people that they don’t mind if you go and have a little pat!









Aleysha and I decided to hire bikes for the day to move things along a little faster as time was getting away from us. So we ended up on a quaint little path leading to this beautiful garden called the Isuien Garden. It was just amazing – especially at this time of year in Summer where everything is green and vibrant. I loved walking through this garden!








My most favourite part of Nara was going to the Todaiji Temple which is probably the most famous tourist attraction to see in Nara. The temple was the biggest thing I have ever seen which explains why it is the largest wooden structure in the world! It was absolutely GINORMOUS!!!












The inside of the temple was even more impressive as we got to see the biggest buddha in the world. It stood five metres tall and just looked like a monstrosity! The word “monstrosity” became my favourite word during our time at the Todaiji Temple!!!




The most challenging part about visiting the Todaiji Temple was trying to get through a small hole which is the exact size of the buddha’s nostril. If you can successfully squeeze your way through it, you get good luck. So of course, I stood in the line with all the little kiddies, waited for my turn, and had a big audience while I tried (not very gracefully, mind you) to squeeze through this tiny hole. My face was bright red and I felt very stressed, but I did it in the end! I was so happy! I told the little seven year old girl behind me that I was worried about whether I could get through or not. She replied to me, “don't worry, if you can’t get through, I will push you!” So at one part, I got a bit stuck and I could feel her pushing my legs trying to get me through! It made me chuckle!


2 comments:

Tinz said...

BEETROOT!!! At least you made it through the hole. It is exciting when you finally get through hey??!!

Lauren said...

That is really cool that you made it - how cute that the little girl wanted to help!