5 January 2008

Kyoto – Momiji Viewing

Recently, Tina and I went on a special trip to Kyoto to see the momiji (Autumn leaves).

It was the best day I have had for a long time because the scenery was absolutely beautiful. We couldn’t have picked a better time to go because this week is the most beautiful time of year to see momiji. One week later and it would have been too late. We were really lucky to have been able to witness such beauty.

We visited some temples and shrines we hadn’t yet been to and everywhere we went, the momiji was just spectacular.


The first place we went to was the San-ju-san-Gen-do. This is a particularly unique temple because inside the temple contains one thousand golden statues called Cannons. They are all lined up in perfect lines and they look absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to take any pictures, but just imagine one thousand golden statues of Gods lined up in perfect rows and columns. I am so glad that we got to see it. I bought a book that contained many different pictures of the statues so that I could have as a keepsake to remind me of the view I got from inside the temple.

This picture is from outside the temple. You can see how big it actually is because it has to be to fit in so many statues! I think the momiji look really beautiful around it too.


After going to the San-ju-san-gen-do Temple, Tina and I went to the park to eat lunch.
We packed our own ham, cheese and avocado sandwiches and sat and ate them under the momiji trees. It was really nice. We took a few photos of ourselves in the park because the view was so spectacular.

We visited the Ginkakuji Temple which was also really beautiful.

Many people believe that the Kinkakuji Temple is more beautiful, and I think that the actual building of Kinkakuji is actually more spectacular to look at, however the landscape surrounding the Ginkakuji Temple during the Autumn period when all the Autumn leaves were out was just amazing!

The Ginkakuji Temple.


Nearby, there was a fantastic display of sand which was perfectly raked and positioned in a smooth, round mound. Surrounding the mound was another area of sand which was also perfectly raked to create an interesting pattern. I have no idea how they were able to create such a perfect mound of sand, but it was really cool to look at.


Moving on from the Ginkakuji Temple, we then found ourselves walking along the Philosopher’s Trail which is a very famous trail that contains various temples you can visit on the way.

It was so beautiful and there are many houses in this area. If I was going to buy a house anywhere in Japan, I would buy one near here because the view is just picturesque. Although, I think that this side of Kyoto would probably be one of the more expensive areas.

At the end of the Philosopher’s Trail, was a temple called Eikando.

This temple was recommended to us by our friend, Yoko because it is so beautiful to see during Autumn. Well she was absolutely right because Tina and I were just blown away by the view presented before us. There was one section where many golden-coloured leaves had fallen off the trees causing the ground to appear golden in colour. We took so many pictures of this!

Tina and I at the Eikando Temple.


The pond in the Eikando Temple.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you both were really lucky because you went there at the best day and season. I haven't seen such a nice view in Kyoto of Autumn. I wish I have been there then!

Tinz said...

How awesome was this day??? Pretty good sickie really huh??!! I had a really good day today and I am soooo glad that we got to see these shrines.

Anonymous said...

I used this site to get into some temples in Kyoto for free.

www.japantravelcoupons.com/kyoto

Lauren said...

Wow! I wish I could have been sick this day too! Kyoto is just amazing!